Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My Grandmother's Bosom...

As defined on the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

1bos·om
Pronunciation:
\ˈbu̇-zəm also ˈbü-\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English bōsm; akin to Old High German buosam bosom
Date: before 12th century

1 a: the human chest and especially the front part of the chest b: a woman's breasts regarded especially as a single feature; also : breast

2 a: the chest conceived of as the seat of the emotions and intimate feelings b: the security and intimacy of or like that of being hugged to someone's bosom

3: the part of a garment that covers the chest or the breasts

Pronounced in my family (and I believe most) boo (like book with out the k) sum.

It may seem like an unlikely thing to blog about, but I want to tell you about my Grandmother's bosom. Here is a picture of my Grandmother, Ruth Anne, when she was about 14. Apparently the picture at one point had included her, then, boyfriend on her left side. She tore him out long before my Mother or I were born and threw him away!

Wasn't she sweet looking? And so stylish too! My oldest Son looks so much like her it's uncanny!

Anyways on to the reason for my post. One of my favorite things growing up was my Grandmother's bosom. They were soft, warm, smelled good and always could be counted on to have a kleenex tucked in the middle for runny noses or the stray tear.

She would hug me close and I would rest my head on her bosom where I felt loved, protected and safe. When I was a small child, she was like a safe place I could count on to be there for me.

Later, when I was an adult, and I could no longer feel comfortable laying my head on her chest, she was all that and more for my two oldest children. Here is a picture of her with my oldest at his baptism:

My Grandmother was a demanding, loving, wickedly funny, argumentative, fiesty, wonderful woman and I miss her so much.

So to all of you that are Grandmother's, as I hope to be one day, hug your baby's babies close to your bosom...it is a safe harbor in a busy life for them and trust me...they will remember it!

5 comments:

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

I hear you!
When My Son started 3 year old activity group I tossed up over 2 places.
The one I choose was because the teacher had these enormous bosoms!!!
I Imagined her as a sweet caring Grandma type figure,And she was!!!
I f the kids were sad she would hug them and they would almost dssapear in between them!
She was truly loving!

Cindy Is Crafty said...

What a lovely memory! I know what you mean.

Jocelyn said...

What a very sweet post about your special grandmother. Thanks for sharing.

Lori Holt said...

Thank you for sharing your memories of your grandmother...I was very touched while reading and at the end when you gave advice for grandmothers to hold thier babies babies close...it brought tears to my eyes because that is exactly what I got to do all day today with my little 5 month old Sophie Belle...it was a wonderful day and I am so thrilled to be a first time grandma!
x Lori

Carrie P. said...

Thanks for sharing about your grandma. It makes me miss mine who has gone for a long time now.