Friday, March 6, 2009

Finish #1...

I have been busy sewing...hand sewing that is. I have a few finishes to share with you, but I am going to dole them out one at a time. Give me more to blog about. Today I'm showing you my "Wonky House" that is an embroidery freebie from Jenny over at Elefantz. There are supposed to be more coming too!



"Wait," you say, "I thought you said embroidery freebie." You say. Well, it is. I just decided to do it a little differently. Instead of embroidery, I got the great idea to do it in needle turn applique. Something that I have never done before. I made the image bigger (since I'm not completely insane enough to make it so small!) and used it as a pattern for my material pieces. I also challenged myself as far as the material choices. As you can see, the "grass" and the "hill" are pretty traditional materials...what I'm most comfortable with. I chose what, to me, looks like a night sky with it's swirlies and "star lights." Where I really jumped out of my comfort zone is in the main house material. I love it, it just isn't something I would normally choose to make something out of. I used wool felt for the windows, doors, tree, sign and mail box. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and I am really looking forward to the others that Jenny will be sharing. I hope she likes what I did with her pattern.l

5 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

You must of heard me squeal with delight when I saw this, I sooo want to learn to appliqué. Your house is just amazing, I love it, cute. cute. cute!!!!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Awesome!! Love it, love it, love it!! Good on you for going for applique!
I was going to make an applique one myself for those who liked that medium and I had chosen spots and stripes for fabrics, but my hand played up with tendonitis and applique does me in at that times, so I stuck with the embroideries. But the thing is, I WANT people to do the blocks their way. They are simple enough for them to change...and it gives me such a buzz to see women like yourself making it your own. You go girl!
Hugs,
Jenny

Julie said...

That is so cute.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

Loralynn,
It is lovely. I am really impressed by your work.

Patty said...

You did an amazing job on this! I seriously wish we loved closer to one another so you could show me how you do all of these things.